Sunday, March 30, 2014

Review of Provoke by Missy Johnson

Synopsis: Mace Jordan was not the type of guy I expected to sweep me off my feet. I knew of the crowd he ran with, and they were bad news. But beyond that tough, biker exterior was a sweetheart, and one that treated me like his princess.I liked being the good girl with the bad boy, but I never expected this. What I saw on his computer…I thought I knew him.

But I was wrong. So wrong…

If there was ever a bad time for me to fall for a chick it was now, but from the moment I saw Leeta, she had me. There was something special about her, and I had to have her. But I also had a job to do, and I couldn’t let her distract me from that. I couldn’t let her discover that side of me either. But she’s not stupid, and I know she’s getting close. God knows what she’ll do if she discovers the truth.

Or what she thinks is the truth.

3.75 Mace-a-licious Stars!

Review: So, every once in a while, my TBR list is swayed by a good cover. This week, that definitely happened with this book. This book was a little different in that, it starts with Leeta and Mace already having gone through some of the rocky beginnings of starting a relationship, and we jump right in to them living it up in the "honeymoon phase". Mace is from a tough family, as his father is in prison, as well as his brother, and his sister has died. Leeta, on the other hand, comes from a military family, and she, herself, is a successful up and coming attorney. One good thing about this book is that Mace and Leeta have good chemistry and some really HOT moments. 

This book goes back and forth between Leeta and Mace's POV, so we begin to see that there is something really big that Mace is keeping from Leeta. You can't quite tell what it is at first, but, due to the nature of his background, you being to suspect that it's not legal. Leeta accidentally stumbles on Mace's secret, and her world is suddenly shattered. And, really, I completely understood why. I would definitely have felt the same way with what she found. This is where I also began to have a difficult time, though, because I felt that some of what Leeta stumbled on was something that would completely turn her away from Mace, yet she sat on it for a little bit. 

Mace realizes pretty quickly that Leeta must know, so he forces her to talk with him about it, and he explains some of what is going on and some of what she saw. I had another moment where I struggled to stick with the story because Leeta went against everything that she believed in, in some ways, to give Mace another chance. Also, considering the main reason that her past relationship ended, combined with what Mace was involved with, it just seemed really unrealistic. Mace was a really hot guy, but I guess I just wondered why Leeta ultimately stayed with him - it seems like it was all about the sex. I felt like they just kept having sex, rather than really talking about things. The end was pretty scary, and I had my moments where I was worried about both Leeta and Mace. I also want to warn people that there is cheating in this story, so please be aware if you do not like that. That did not detract from my rating, but the type of character that Leeta is described to be, and her inconsistent response, did. 

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment