Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review of Draw (Gentry Boys #1) by Cora Brent

Synopsis: “All my life I’d always known what the Gentry boys were. A set of fraternal triplets born to a depraved family, they were rough, sexy and wild as wolves.”

SAYLOR…
I don’t even know if love is real. After running from the bastard who brutalized me, I limped back to Arizona, choosing a vibrant college town in the hopes of starting over. I never expected to find him there. Cord Gentry. He and his brothers were tough, lusty forces of nature I’d known since childhood. Years ago, Cord seduced me as a sick game. I’ve hated him ever since. Now here he is again, a man who beats other men bloody for money.
Cord has always been heartless, dangerous, not to be trusted.
And I want him so much I can’t think.

CORD…
They called us ‘those white trash Gentry boys’ until we believed that’s what we were. Our people squatted at the edge of a hellhole prison town for generations. The childhood we endured was the stuff of nightmares. I’d learned early on that my brothers, Chase and Creed, were the only people on earth worth my time.
They all told us we were bad, that we’d always be bad.
The horrors of the past have scarred my soul.
But now I need to be better. For her.

4.5 Stars!

Review: I loved the Gentry boys - Creedence, Chasyn and Cordero. If that doesn't tell you their mama was smoking something when she named them, then you will pick up on that very quickly. I say that because the Gentry boys are wild, rough, chaotic, tough, mean and...amazing. They are all of the above because of their rough upbringing and their absolutely horrible parents, and yet...

We begin with Saylor, whose abusive boyfriend has hit her one too many times, so she finally leaves him. She leaves California to drive to the only person that has ever been there for her - her cousin, Brayden. To go to him, though, she has to do what she has said she will never do again, which is to return to Arizona. When she does, one of the first people that she runs into is Cord Gentry, her nemesis from high school. He did a pretty horrible thing to her, only to then make sure that everyone at their high school and in their town also knew about it. Layla feels that it's completely fitting that she runs into him when she is at her lowest. However, Cord surprises her. He doesn't kick her while she's down; instead, he helps her back up. 

I really don't want to say too much about this because I don't want to give things away. Cord and Saylor both have to learn to forget the past, or at least to not let it define them. They begin to see that neither is what the other expected, and they begin to care for one another. And, it doesn't hurt that they also have a lot of chemistry! A LOT. Saylor was a little off character, at times, in that she had a pretty limited sexual history, and yet, she was completely okay at times with doing things that just felt out of character.

Something happens about 75% of the way in that helps you see that the Gentry boys are more than what their town thinks of them. They aren't just wild, rough, chaotic, etc...they have so much heart and caring for one another, and if you look closely enough, it leaks over into other areas of their life. Each one has a skill or passion that I can't wait to see developed more in the other books. One thing that I also like about this book is that no one is rich, and no magic, rich billionaire comes in to save the day. So, it feels realistic...and there is a little bit of desperation that makes you root for each person. Can't wait for the next ones in the series!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment