Monday, August 18, 2014

Review of Crazy Good by Rachel Robinson

Synopsis: Before there were bikers, or fighters, or even good old-fashioned jerks, there were Navy SEALs. They put the bad in badass because, well…it’s their job.
Navy SEAL Maverick Hart has everything. Women want him. Grown men idolize him. Little boys want to grow up and be like him. The job, the glory—it’s all his. Not because it’s handed to him…because he works hard for it. The second his sights lock on something, he owns it—or destroys it. Unfortunately he does both at the same time.

Windsor Forbes only takes calculated risks in her profession and in her personal life. After being left at the altar by the only person she’s ever loved, the very last thing she’s looking for is a relationship—especially the insane brand an arrogant Navy SEAL is offering. Hesitant, yet trusting to a fault, she gives in.

She knew she shouldn’t take the chance, especially a second time, but love is irrational and their love is perfect, infallible. Or so she thought…

The downfall to having everything is you have that much more to lose. A man like Maverick can’t have it all without something slipping out of grasp.

Crazy people perish for love.

Good people live for it.

Love doesn’t die. No matter how many bullets you put in it.

*Due to sexual content and graphic language this book is intended for readers 18+*

4.75 Stars!

Review: Maverick, Maverick, Maverick. Can that be the end of my review? I guess that would not help you see why I loved this book so much, though. Windsor has been hurt before, and I make the argument that she was hurt long before a man, her ex-fiance, hurt her in a romantic sense. No, Windsor was hurt by her mother's unhealthy relationships with men and her hurtful words to Windsor, her daughter. So, when you throw in a cheating, scumbag ex-fiance, Windsor is very cautious of guys. She has decided, however, that she is willing to give it another shot. Enter Maverick Hart here. 

I will say that the first words of the book leave you with a bad taste in your mouth for Maverick. I was really prepared for a different type of book that what I actually got. I'm so glad that I stuck with it, however. Maverick is a Navy SEAL, and he is best friends with Stone, who is the husband of one of Windsor's best friends, Morganna. Morganna warns Windsor against Maverick, but Windsor is basically no match for Maverick once he decides to set his sights on her. Maverick has always been more of a player, but he decides to try something different with Windsor. 

Over the next several months, as they begin to date, it is really pretty funny and, sometimes, pretty painful to watch these two develop a relationship. Based on their pasts, neither one of them finds it easy to trust or open up to the other, but they slowly, and I mean SLOWLY (you'll get that, if you read the book), make their way together. It is inevitable, however, that Maverick's job will call him away on another deployment, however, and that is where everything sort of falls apart. I'll be honest, part of why my review is as high as it is is because of how much I cried at one point. I know that, no matter my other critiques or questions about a book, grammar errors, etc, if a book makes me sob, then the author has done their job because I have connected to that character. And I did. I connected to characters that weren't even the main characters. What happens next is a true struggle for people to find their way out of depression, alcohol abuse, anger, grief and mistrust. Yet, Maverick and Windsor find out that they can deal with a lot of that if they can just trust one another - then the rest can be worked through.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment