Thursday, May 22, 2014

Review of Imperfectly Real by A.E. Woodward

Synopsis: When nothing in your life goes right … go left.

Tyler Johnston has a life that would be the envy of most twenty-somethings. He lives in New York City, surrounded by his closest friends, has a job in a field he loves, and remains unattached—able to flit from one lady to the next without responsibility. Only problem is, Tyler isn’t in his twenties anymore…

Having watched two of his best friends fall in love and start a family, Tyler is left wondering what will become of his life. So when life hands Tyler his happy ever after, he struggles with his conscience. Can something be right when it’s so very, very wrong? Because everyone knows that two wrongs don’t make a right. In fact, most of the time, they just make things a whole lot worse.

4.25 Stars!

Review: This is the second in the Series of Imperfections series, and it is about Tyler and Emma's sister, Liz, whom we briefly met in the first book. I already loved Tyler from the first book, when he was so supportive and non-judgmental as Emma and Shane muddled their way through figuring out their love for each other. Tyler is this big, somewhat bumbling, amazingly good-hearted guy, and you really want to see him find someone that is worth him...
Which is why I struggled with about 80% of the book.

Liz comes to visit Emma and the guys out of the blue. Yes, they are all still living together, along with Emma and Shane's son, Felix. Liz, if you read the first book, is a carbon copy of Emma's mother - snooty, judgmental, seemingly perfect, etc. She comes to visit, though, and even Tyler can see that she appears to be broken. The just adorable, gooey chocolate, inside of Tyler that makes him amazing, works to help Liz - even at the expense of himself. Thus begins their secret relationship, though, different people slowly find out as the months move forward. I had trouble with this, since Tyler had been on the opposite side, along with Emma, when she had been cheated on. I don't think that is ever the answer, even if Liz's husband does end up being nowhere near a stellar guy. 

Tyler and Liz slowly build on the memories and barely there relationship that they had in the past. For some reason, I had a difficult time really connecting to them. I wanted Tyler to find someone so badly, and I absolutely loved him. And...to be honest, once I knew Liz's story, my heart broke for her, too. I want her to find herself, and I want her to find happiness. I guess I'm not convinced, yet, that that includes one another. Their story is not over, yet, however, so I guess we will have to see what happens with them. Hopefully, they will make an appearance in Rob's story, because I need to know if they make it!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment