Monday, January 5, 2015

Review of Overwhelmed by You by Nashoda Rose

Synopsis: KAT

I don’t beg.
I don’t cry.
And I don’t give second chances.

Ream, the lead guitarist of the rock band Tear Asunder, deserves a gold medal for best dick move ever when he ran the moment he discovered my secret after two days of hot sex. Then he brings some chick to my coming home party from the hospital—after being shot.
I hate him.

Until …

Ream’s six foot two frame unfolds out of the car after being gone on tour for eight months. I stared. And in my defense, any girl would stare. It would almost be rude not to because Ream was the type of guy who stood out. Not because he was loud and obnoxious. No, it was because he was the complete opposite. Subtle and dangerously quiet. If he spoke, you’d better hope he liked you because otherwise you’d be falling at his feet begging for mercy. Except me … I don’t beg—ever.
But when our eyes locked, it was Ream’s steady confidence that had my nerves shooting off like jet sprinklers.

Then…

Ream told me he didn’t need a second chance because he was still working on his first.

REAM

Sex is ugly. It’s using someone for your own narcissistic pleasure. I did it, but hated it—until her. She was unfuckinexpected. Then I had to wreck our beginning with my screwed up past. I don’t deserve her, but I’m selfish and I’m taking her anyway. This is who I am and it’s too late to change me.

*Warning contains violence, sexual content, and coarse language. Some scenes may be triggers. Mature audiences 18+

A contemporary romance with lots of angst.
 
4 Stars!
 
Review: This author really knows how to twist and turn your insides for her characters. I find myself caught up in them without really realizing it, and then, I find myself blindsided by the strange, and usually sick, twist that comes along at some point. For Kat and Ream, they meet when two of their friends disappear for a few weeks. They are worried about both of them, and, in the mean time, decide to continue to the work that Emily and Logan had started on the house and barn that belongs to Emily (eventually). Emily and Logan return, after their own harrowing experience, but by that time, Ream has learned one of Kat's biggest and darkest secrets - but not without first assuming the worst of her. Thus begins several years of miscommunication, stubborn-ness, etc, that you would expect between an alpha male and a female who, I hate to say it, annoys me because of how unwilling she is to change while she expects others to change.
 
There. I got that off my chest.
 
Kat has a secret that not many people know, and, even though things are going pretty well between her and Ream when he finds out, he freaks out and accuses of her of something else. When he cools down and comes to find her to apologize, she decides that life is too short to give people a second chance, aka, to forgive them, and she begins several years of hurt between the two of them. Ream, being the alpha male that he is, finally has enough and comes back for her after he and the other guys in the band are done with a tour. This time, he won't let Kat brush him aside; instead, he fights for her. That's the part of this story that gets to me and sucks me in. Kat, when she does let herself be vulnerable with him, seems like a good fit for him, too.
 
Ream also has some major darkness and baggage in his past, however. Stuff that seriously broke my heart and made me hurt for him. And, as with these things, that baggage doesn't stay in the past. Instead, it comes after Kat. Ream will have to figure out if he can save Kat, as well as himself, this time around.
 
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment